The RCFHA Philosophy
From our beginnings in the late 70s, RCFHA has been about 3 basic principals:
- Equal playing time for all team members
- Play the puck, not the opponent
- When the game ends, the competition ends
This is still the core of what we are about and can still be found in our League Handbook, but we feel RCFHA represents much more. Because the game of Cosom Hockey does not offer elite leagues, interlocking with other cities or leagues, etc., we strive to be a different sports option for your family.
Some of the things that make us different from soccer, ice hockey, etc. include:
- Low cost of entry to play – we remain the best sports value in Richmond. Registration includes, a dri-fit team shirt, team photos and tournament
- We provide almost all of the equipment. No need to spend extra dollars on expensive gear!
- Minimal gear required – only knee and shin pads required (in most cases we can connect you with those for under $40)
- Inclusiveness – We do not split kids into separate groups based on their skills. Everyone plays in their appropriate age division regardless of skills. Children with special needs play with their peers and get all the same skills development and playing time.
We also feel we are developing great adults! Many of our players continue on to referee, coach, volunteer and join our executive. We feel its important to instill in our players at a young age that volunteering in your community is important. Our referee-in-chief is a former player who also coaches and is a member of our executive!
We often hear from our new parents that our league is a refreshing change from the hyper-competitive environment at most other organized sports. We keep the competition out on the floor and when the game is done everyone is still smiling!